Columbus, OH–Impact Ohio will hold a Youngstown/Warren Regional Conference on Thursday, September 12, 2019 at Stambaugh Auditorium from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The conference is a partnership effort with The Success Group and the Youngstown/Warren Regional Chamber.
The Impact Ohio Youngstown/Warren Regional Conference, cosponsored by the Ohio Democratic and Republican parties, will offer a special, bipartisan opportunity to explore public policies important to the Mahoning Valley.
“We are excited about the agenda we have set for the Youngstown/Warren Regional Conference, and believe it will provide attendees with a great chance to hear directly from those who influence policy and political agendas in the region and state,” said Jennifer Flatter, CEO of Impact Ohio.
The conference will feature government leaders, media professionals, business leaders, and policy experts.
Attendees will have the opportunity to hear from Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose at noon, and Ohio Treasurer of State Robert Sprague at 2:00 p.m. LaRose and Sprague will discuss their plans for their respective offices and bring their perspective on issues impacting the Youngstown/Warren region.
Registration, networking and lunch begin at 11 a.m. The Conference Welcome at 11:45 a.m. will include remarks from Jennifer Flatter, James Dignan, President & CEO, Youngstown/Warren Regional Chamber, and The Honorable Jamael Tito Brown, Mayor of Youngstown.
The conference will hold three public policy panels.
The first policy session of the day, Increasing Manufacturing Competitiveness: The Next Generation of Technology & Machining, will begin at 12:45 p.m. A panel of experts will discuss the importance of manufacturing in the Mahoning Valley, and its impact on Northeast Ohio’s job market and economy. Panelists will also focus on advancement in technology and machining in the manufacturing world, particularly the use of 3D technology in manufacturing. Panelists are listed below.
- Moderator: Jeff Herrmann, CEO, The Business Journal
- The Honorable Matt Dolan, Chair, Senate Finance Committee
- Mike Garvey, President & CEO, M-7 Technologies
- Michael Hripko, Associate Vice President, External Affairs, Government Relations, and Economic Development, Youngstown State University
- Erin O’Donnell, Director of Partnership and Community Relations, America Makes
The second panel of the day, Military Affairs and the Economy: The Importance of Camp Garfield and The Youngstown Air Reserve Station, will begin at 2:15 p.m. This panel will focus on the many opportunities in the Mahoning Valley for investment in military and defense. Panelists will discuss the impact of military operations on Northeast Ohio’s job market and overall economy. Panelists are listed below.
- Moderator: Brenda Linert, Editor, Tribune Chronicle
- Vito Abruzzino, Executive Director, Eastern Ohio Military Affairs Commission
- Michael Dustman, Director of Constituent Services, Office of U.S. Senator Rob Portman
- The Honorable Rick Perales, Chair, Ohio House Armed Services and Veterans Affairs
- The Honorable Michael A. Rulli, Member, Ohio Senate Local Government, Public Safety & Veterans Affairs Committee
- Retired Air Force Colonel Joseph Zeis, Jr., Senior Policy Advisor for Aerospace and Defense, Office of Governor Mike DeWine
Finally, at 3:30 p.m., we will hear from environmental policy professionals during the Mahoning River Restoration: Enhancing Sustainability to Improve the Region panel. Our panelists will discuss pathways towards cleaner water to ensure the health and wellness of communities dependent on the Mahoning River. Panelists are listed below.
- Moderator: Amanda Smith, Reporter, WKBN TV
- The Honorable William D. Franklin, Mayor, City of Warren
- Jim Kinnick, Executive Director, Eastgate Regional Councils of Government
- The Honorable Sean J. O’Brien, Ranking Member, Ohio Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee
- Kurt Princic, District Chief, Ohio Environmental Protection Agency Northeast District Office
Following the conference, there will be a post-conference reception and river launch at B & O Station sponsored by Covelli Enterprises and hosted by the Regional Chamber Foundation.
Nick Santucci, Director of Government & Public Affairs for the Regional Chamber, sees the Impact Ohio Youngstown/Warren Regional Conference as a great opportunity for the community.
“We we are pleased to partner with Impact Ohio to bring together policy conversations around the future of the Mahoning Valley and our community. Impact Ohio will bring experienced voices into the Youngstown/Warren region to discuss priorities moving forward. A political conference of this scale has never taken place before in this community, and we are excited to bring an Impact Ohio Regional Conference to the Valley,” Santucci said.
The Success Group launched Impact Ohio in 1984 with the first Post Election Conference in Columbus, which is held every two years immediately following the general election. Interest has grown over the last 35 years, which led Impact Ohio to expand in 2017 with regional conferences. In 2019, Impact Ohio will hold six regional conferences.
The full conference agenda is listed below.
11:00 a.m. Registration, Networking & Buffet Lunch
11:45 a.m. Conference Welcome
12:00 p.m. Priorities & Plans for Ohio’s 51st Secretary of State, Frank LaRose
12:45 p.m. Increasing Manufacturing Technology Competitiveness: The Next Generation of Technology & Machining
1:45 p.m. Networking & Coffee Break
2:00 p.m. Priorities & Plans for Ohio’s 49th Treasurer of State, Robert Sprague
2:15 p.m. Military Affairs and The Economy: The Importance of Camp Garfield and The Youngstown Air Reserve Station
3:30 p.m. Mahoning River Restoration: Enhancing Sustainability to Improve the Region
5:00 p.m. River Launch & Reception Hosted by The Chamber Foundation (B & O Banquet Hall, 530 Mahoning Ave, Youngstown, OH 44502)
Register for the conference and reception at https://impactohio.org/2019youngstownwarren/.