At the Impact Ohio 2019 Akron Regional Conference, attendees will hear from three panels of experts on issues important to the Akron area.
The first policy session of the day, Effective Economic Development and Elevating the Regional Economy, will begin at 12:45 p.m. A panel of experts will focus on the importance of economic development to the Akron region and the Elevate Akron initiative. Our panel of experts will discuss workforce development and job-training, investments in local economies, and the partnership between business and government to ensure the successful communities.
The second panel of the day, Creating a Culture of Civility in a Divided Society, begins at 2:15 p.m. and will focus on having civil discussions about politics and policy. Panelists will discuss the importance of civil discourse and respecting the views of those who have different backgrounds and opinions. In a time where politics is becoming seemingly more polarized, it is important for those in a diverse state like Ohio to learn how to have constructive conversations and move policy forward.
Our final panel of the day will be Improving Childhood Experiences to Improve Communities, beginning at 3:30 p.m. A panel of experts will discuss the importance of children’s health, education, and early experiences at home and school. Panelists will focus on how early childhood experiences, including education and learning opportunities, build a strong foundation for Ohio’s children for life-long success, laying the foundation for prosperity in our communities.
More information on who will be speaking in each of these panels is listed below.
12:45 PM – 1:45 PM
EFFECTIVE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND ELEVATING THE REGIONAL ECONOMY
- Ilene Shapiro, County Executive, Summit County
- Jason Dodson, Chief of Staff, Summit County
- James J. Hardy, Deputy Mayor for Integrated Development & Chief of Staff, City of Akron
- David James, Superintendent, Akron City Schools
- Steve Millard, President & CEO, Greater Akron Chamber
CREATING A CULTURE OF CIVILITY IN A DIVIDED SOCIETY
Moderator: Bruce Winges, Retired Editor, Akron Beacon Journal
- Dr. John Green, Interim President of The University of Akron and Director of the Ray C. Bliss Institute of Applied Politics
- The Honorable Frank LaRose, Ohio Secretary of State
- Senator Vernon Sykes, Ranking Member, Senate Finance Committee
- Rev. Dr. Carl P. Wallace, Co-Convener, Akron Faith Community
PROVING CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCES TO IMPROVE COMMUNITIES
Moderator: Michael Douglas, Editorial Page Editor, Akron Beacon Journal